Building Comprehension & Writing Skills in Edmonton, AB
Parents have grown increasingly aware of the importance of having their children acquire good reading skills at an early age. This can often mean the difference between a child excelling or having difficulty at every phase of learning that follows. Contact us today to get started.
Fostering Writing & Speaking Skills
Kumon Reading is a balanced program representing the best documented practices in reading and writing instruction. It covers skills from understanding the sounds that make up words to the summary and critique of complex reading passages. Our program begins with students learning the phonics of reading and spelling, and finishes with students studying English 30-1 in preparation for diploma exams and post-secondary studies, including AP (Advanced Placement) and IB (International Baccalaureate) exams.
Good writing and speaking skills are fostered as a natural outgrowth of the Kumon Reading curriculum. Kumon students at every level read daily. That alone confers enormous benefits.
Areas covered by Kumon reading include:
- Pre-reading skills
- Vocabulary building
- Grammar and punctuation
- Reading comprehension, beginning at the elementary level and progressing to grade 12/university entrance standards
- Technical writing – students need to learn how to convey their answers accurately and succinctly; how to proofread and edit
Who Goes to Kumon Reading?
Our students include:
- Students wishing to enhance their vocabulary and reading comprehension – this translates into self-confidence in school and a lifelong love of reading
- Children having difficulty acquiring reading and writing skills at school
- Pre-readers or early readers seeking a head start or supplement
- Students wishing to participate and excel in the academic school streams – Academic Challenge, IB, accelerated programs, private schools
- Students learning English as their second language or students studying in a second language environment (French immersion, Chinese immersion, etc.)
- Students seeking extra challenge or simply wishing to work at a level higher than their current school grade